Thursday, January 31, 2008

My Orchestra

Time really fly fast.....too fast enough for me to catch a breath. Friday is the day I make music from the pair of hands I have. Previously, I really don't like Friday cuz is music making day. People don't appreciate what they tend to have, am I right? Friday is the day where I have to go for orchestra practise but now no more.....
I still remember the days when I was part of it...don't like to practise...why practise and practise....but it was one of the moment I cherish...I begin joining orchestra at the age of 10 or 11....During that hour, I never knew what orchestra about. Just sit and play whenever ask to play. Boring isn't it??Yet the part I love most is during performance....people paid to watch you play.....I'll never have this opportunity if I didn't play in groups.
Then I change from violin to viola because viola lack of players and teacher ask me to changed. I get the change to got promote from Penang Junior to Penang Symphony....what an honour. It was another dream that come true. Seriously, I never thought that I would be part of Penang Symphony one day. It was a great orchestra to venture with.
From there I started to grow as player although knowing myself is weak yet I really wish can achieved something one day. I do practise hard but can't improve, maybe lack of music cell.....Together with them I play numerous piece that I really enjoy playing. I thought this will be a full stop for me. Yet much greater opportunity came, dream of the life time. Playing at the Dewan Malaysian Philharmonic was a dream of the life time as a player.
My teacher was forming a Chamber Orchestra, he said that he would give me a try. I practise hard in order to stay in the team though Im still weak compare to the others. Im saying to myself, take the challange or leave it. I went for every practise and sometimes only 1 people from my section came. Really scare me off.....to the others, performing at the Dewan Philharmonic maybe just a normal thing but to me it is a golden opportunity that never come twice again. Thanks to my teacher, Mr Woon.....

1 comment:

Gertrude Pereira said...

You performed with the Dewan Philharmonic Orchestra? That is amazing, Nicholas! And, congratulations! I would love to hear you perform one of these days! Hang on in there. Practice makes perfect!
I know you don't need language to perform, but you apply the same principle. Practise and you will improve. For a start, try editing your written work. Use all the editing skills I taught you. After a while, you will find that you are writing better sentences! Keep on writing -- and performing!